Skip to main content

Home Forums The Sixteenth National Cipher Challenge: The Lost Legion Official Celebration Thread 4b

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Feel free to comment below and celebrate with others who have completed 4b. Specific completion times will not be allowed through the moderation though. Next week, please do not try to start this thread, it will just be deleted. Wait a day for it to appear and then you can comment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ayyyyy we got 4b. That was fun. The note for next week is ominous though: “Half way through the Challenge and you are probably feeling smug. Just wait til next week …”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Took us a while. My program didn’t work, but we made some assumptions and worked it out by hand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This was clever, very clever, but most definitely doable with a bit of background knowledge. Definitely follow the tips if you’re still stuck, and happy puzzling to everyone still cracking! You’ll get there!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Managed to solve this one with combination of some Perl code, intuition, guesswork and that viral ingredient: luck. Some blind alleys explored but very satisfying when the plain text almost magically reveals itself after the right incantation. Keep going everyone, it can be done…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Edwin, I had exactly the same thing happen to me, took a little while using other tools which I had made but completed it after [snip] – so happy. Keep going if you haven’t yet done it and read through 4A, it really helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quite happy to have cracked this one! Me and my friend, both of whom are new to ciphering, have been waiting for this type of cipher to show up for a while, since it seemed the coolest when we learnt about them, and I’m kind of happy to say that I beat him! Found the cipher type almost instantly thanks to a key hint that the moderators keep on saying!

Anonymous
    Inactive

it was great fun.it took us a while but we got it in the end.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That was great fun! This was my first time participating while the challenge was live, so I was quite happy when I solved it

Anonymous
    Inactive

This one was quite tough but with some very messy python code, I got a program working that was very accurate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got 99.9 last night and sorted it with the feedback just now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To be honest I didnt do challenge 3B but I actually did challenge 4B which is pretty exciting! I am so happy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The reference in 4a made it particularly easy to single out the cipher, and solving it, was a different matter. It was fairly easy as an acquaintance of mine had already written a piece of code which could assist in solving (snip) ciphers. It was way easier than 3b, which I submitted about 20 minutes before the points dropped luckily.

The rather insulting phrase which is inserted on top of the solution strikes fear in all of us. Albeit I am not really smug, more fearful at the pace of difficulty this year has, compared to other years.

Good luck to all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oddly, I found this week one of the easiest. I’m not sure if it was just because I had a tonne of scripts prepared for this kind of cipher already though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@hoix I am pretty sure that piece is the same as was for 4 last year and I can’t remember but I don’t think it increased in difficulty tooooo much so probably just Harry being … well … Harry!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.