Skip to main content
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Are the prizes allocated only based on points or does solving technique matter? Also what happens in the event that 2 or more teams have the same total part B score by the end of the competition?

Thanks in advance, Bubble Sort.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As far as I’m aware, the prizes operate mostly on points – however, as Harry has mentioned in a thread, they “ask the victors for detailed accounts of how they decoded the final challenge and to furnish [them] with copies of workings out or code”.

So it seems to me that if a bunch of people tied for first, they’d have a look at the accounts, see who has used entirely their own resources and who has written their own code, see who used skill over luck to break the cipher, and work from there.

Correct me if I’m wrong!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty much the case. Speed of solving Challenge 8B also matters. Candidates for the overall prizes usually have full marks on Challenge 3 to 7 and we then look at those to see who is provided the fastest correct solutions For Challenge 8B to select candidates for the prizes. We ask those candidates to provide a bit of information about how they broke the ciphers and then the prize committee makes a recommendation for the awards. Hope that helps,

Harry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.