Skip to main content
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Got a message for the Elves? Post it here, they might get round to reading it! (but remember they are only human, oh, never mind.)

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by .
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by .
    Anonymous
    Inactive

One elf, reporting for duty!

I’ve been involved with the National Cipher Challenge for several years, first as a participant and then (when I went off to uni) as an elf. I’ll be keeping an eye on the forum for Harry (and letting him know, if necessary, who’s been naughty or nice).

I’m also a baby mathematician (about to start a PhD), so I can do my best to answer questions about maths and studying it (particularly at Southampton).

Have fun, and see you all around!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Another elf reporting for duty too. Hope you are ready for your first, or another fun year breaking ciphers and enjoying a good story. We will try to help as we can, but also remember this is a competition, so it will not all be easy and the help may not come as quickly or as clearly as you want!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice closing parenthesis there Harry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi elves. How did Bottersnike get an avatar? I don’t see anywhere on the individual or team details for that. TIA.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You use “Gravatar”. This website is build upon wordpress hence how it works. https://gravatar.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Bottersnike. Gravatar generates an image that follows one from site to site. I wanted an avatar for this site only.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe (I don’t use one, as you can see!) that you can have one gravatar per email address, and many emails associated with one gravatar account. So if you use a different (eg school) email address for your account here, or if you use a service that lets you create aliases (such as gmail’s “+” trick) then you could have one just for this site.

It’s definitely something of a work around and (as I said) I haven’t followed this advice so I have no understanding of the process… But Google is your friend in this situation!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re starting your Phd? I’m starting to feel old now…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m afraid I am. These elves, they grow up so fast…

(Wait, do elves age?)

Anonymous
    Inactive

PhD students are grown ups now? When did that happen?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doesn’t feel like it. Growing up, slowly, maybe…

Anonymous
    Inactive

@water_biscuit elves from the Lord of the Rings are immortal but of course it depends on your fairytale

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alas, we believed Smaug to be immortal but he too has left us.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.