Skip to main content
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah-ha! So it’s a hill cipher, but not that complex! That is interesting but how does a hill cipher work?

Anonymous
    Inactive

b.snomolos,
    NEVER underestimate the challenge!!!!
    Last year, a 2×2 hill cipher was used for 8A, and 8B… don’t ask!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember that last cryptic clue from 8a last year Joan, but it already tells us things we already know!! And unless the key is the same as last year as well as this first cipher, then I’m stumped. I have some theories about reversing each word’s lettering and the other cipher, but none of it works!! 8b – you truly have done it again 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m am soooooo confused on how to solve and figure out how to use a hill cipher!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

OFFICIAL CLUE: 12 is a number you may be interested in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Hill Cipher was used in last years Challenge but could someone please tell me what else was used to crack 8b!?
    Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Joan
    I don’t know why my post has not been allowed through. People are thinking it is a Hill Cipher but that should not have been a cipher in this historical context. In the meantime I will stick with Vignere combinations with a key length of 12.
    regards
    Sleuth

Anonymous
    Inactive

As for how the Hill Cipher works:

One takes an reversible (has an inverse Matrix, which is a Matrix in relation to the first Matrix where Matrix A * Matrix B = Matrix B * Matrix A) n*n Matrix – this is the key. One then splits the text into groups of letters size n, and then writes each of these groups of letters as a Matrix. From there, one multiplies each Matrix of n letters by the key, modulus 26, to create a new set of Matrices. These Matrices are then converted back into letters, which are then strung together to create the ciphertext.

For decrypting the ciphertext with the key, one works out the inverse Matrix to the key Matrix, taking modular arithmetic into account (this is the bit I struggle to get my head around, because of things like 1/3 = 9 if you’re multiplying in mod 26), and then encrypt the cipher text with the inverse Matrix, as described above to get the plaintext!

ADuptheTotal1 (great name by the way!) I don’t remember a 2*2 being used in 8B? As I understand the set of letters obtained from the numbers was encrypted with monoalphabetic substitution?

Ooh, and just whilst writing this I’ve had a thought, imagine how mean it would be if 8B was like a 12*12 Hill Cipher!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Emiloi88, as described in the ‘How The Winners Won’ booklet, one removed all the twos, then split the text vertically at the spaces left by them. One then read off binary letters from top to bottom, left to right, in their groups of 5, and then solved a monoalphabetic encryption from those letters.

Anonymous
    Inactive

what on earth are they yearning for? we’re yearning for another hint on how to conquer the hill… if it is a hill…

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Romans would not have known of a Hill Cipher . I have been working on picture clues of Mount Olympus and Eagles but could not get Quagmire or doubly encrypted Vignere combinations to work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

8A was encrypted with a hill cipher. 8B was the unique one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have tried and tried … suspect a 2×2 Hill cipher but have no idea how to identify the key word or matrix and don’t understand how the number 12 is relevant. Also, should we reverse the words before or after the Hill Cipher? We are getting close to the end and running out of time – it would be good to finish, please!

Anonymous
    Inactive

What are matrixes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty sure that the vignere wasn’t around then either. Nor the thing used to encrypt 8B

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.