Skip to main content
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OFFICIAL CLUE: The following has just come in from Maryam. I have taken the liberty to decode it for you. Good luck. “The ioc was pretty conclusive about the period of the cipher, but frequency analysis didn’t give us a Caesar shift for each column. It was Jodie who pointed out that if the Romans were using lookup tables from the Codex then they didn’t have to rely entirely on Caesar shifts in each column so we had to do the hard work of figuring out each of the substitutions used.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Joan, it’s past the next deadline so could you please post another hint. Would be incredibly helpful….

Anonymous
    Inactive

How does that help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

whattttttt.okay, i look forward to figuring that out in the morning! 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ohhhh..! How incredibly unhelpful to my simple mind…

Anonymous
    Inactive

To get full marks, should I add the second speech mark in or not?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know exactly what all that means, but unfortunately I had already worked all that out for myself. Still a bit stuck then… :/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure if anyone can tell me this, but I cant see any obvious keywords. Am I missing something or is it random letters. If it is random letters, how are we meant to filter through 26!^2 (approx 1.62644003×10^53) solutions. I’m really stuck on this one, even though I think i know the code. Joan? Any help?

Anonymous
    Inactive

To get full marks the speech marks don’t matter. Only a-z characters are included in the marking scheme, everything else is ignored. So put them in or leave them out, it doesn’t matter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is an ioc? I googled it and all i found was either International Olympic Committee and inversion of control!?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“frequency analysis didn’t give us a Caesar shift for each column”

This is misleading.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How on earth is that helpful?!?!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Jake12 ioc means index of coincidence. This is described in the beginners guide to codebreaking on the resources page. Or can be found by googling ciphers ioc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

can the next hint be to do with any key words that may or may not occur?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What type of cipher is it? A nearly ‘polyalphabetic caesar’ shift is really unhelpful

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.